Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Graphic Novel Review: Death the time of your life Neil Gaiman, Chris Bachalo, Mark Buckingham and Mark Pennington

Neil Gaiman has a wonderful gift of taking the profane and giving it life.  I have been slowly making my way through Gaiman’s Sandman graphic novels thoroughly enjoying the rich and mystical world he has created.   

One of my favourite characters in his series is the Sandman’s older sister Death.  Other personifications of Death have been of a man in a dark cowl carrying a scythe.  Many stories about Death are of how the Grim Reaper was outwitted, as death is something to avoid, escape and cheat.

As he has done time and time again Gaiman takes the myth and turns it on its head.  Gaiman’s Death is a perky, optimistic and loving woman.  She dresses like a goth but does not have a gothic temperament.  Instead of being menancing she welcomes you into death with a loving embrace and a smile.  It is odd to describe the character of Death to be as full of life but she is

The Time of your life is a spin-off from the Sandman comics focusing solely on the character of Death.  Foxglove and Hazel, other characters from the Sandman comics, appear as well.  In this issue Foxglove has become a famous rock-star and Hazel is a stay at home mother, pretending to be Foxglove’s secretary rather than her lover.  Hazel's tries to make a deal with Death to extend a life and Foxglove travels to the shadowlands save Hazel.  This issue takes the reader through a journey of life, death and dreams.  It is explained that there is no balance to death, no taking of one life for another, as death is inevitable.

The graphic novel is illustrated beautifully and it is easy to see how Gaiman and his team have created a series that is widely praised and timeless.  I thoroughly enjoyed the deeper exploration of Death’s character with an issue to herself and no Sandman.  Four out of five stars.

4 comments:

  1. The two Death books are among my favourites. Have you read THE HIGH COST OF LIVING yet? I think it's even better than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start reading Sandman, especially since they've announced a TV series is going to be made from it. I've heard a ton of good things about his Death character, so I think I'll check out this spinoff first. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they're doing a TV series. That's actually terrifying...

    I love the Death books too. Sandman, the series, is pure genius. But Sandman, the character, can be a little whiny. Death is the wonderful antidote to her self-absorbed brother - she's lively, fun, interesting and surprisingly selfless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death has got to be my favourite character in the Sandman series with Delerium coming a close second. I love the disjointed way that Delerium speaks and her multi-coloured speech bubbles. I agree that Sandman can be whiny and self-absorbed but I always find it refreshing when powerful beings have flaws.

    Crazy that they are making a tv series, although I would much rather a tv series than a movie.

    I am planning to get hold of the High Cost of Living as soon as I can :)

    ReplyDelete